Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sick Guilt


Sick guilt.  Have you ever had it?  It is when you are sick, so you stay home from work because you are feeling awful or are just courteous enough to not want to spread your germs, and yet while home recuperating you feel guilt.  Guilt that you aren't at work working.  Do you know what I mean?

Well I am home sick today and I have sick guilt.  What inevitably ends up happening is that I try to check email from home, listen to voicemails, and generally fret all day about what I should be doing at work instead of taking fever meds and using up boxes of tissues.

I hate sick guilt.

In the world of creativity - have you ever started out with this totally awesome design plan.  Pattern - check.  Fabric - check.  Dedication/Motivation/Time - check.  And then halfway or more through the project, after pressing, cutting, sewing, and re-sewing you throw that baby up on your design wall or spread it out on the floor only to go What the H?  Yeah, I had one of those moments this week...

I love my fabric choices, it goes well together, and yet the vibe I wanted to get from the pattern I chose (which is just a very simple basket weave) just completely sucked with my fabric choices.  The thing that I had seen in my head?  Well this was Not It.
Architextures Basketweave
However, as in all things art, and a hard lesson I have learned time and time again in school and beyond, I can give up and whine about this (which I clearly just did above) or I can move on and see it as a creative opportunity.  So creative opportunity...here I come...

In this case, my creative opportunity will be involving these which I am dubbing the *Purple People Pleasers*
DSC_0071
And see?  I am keeping to my stash busting commitment...the Purple People Pleasers stack contains some of my favs, AMH, Jay Carroll, Tanya Whelan.

Linking up to Live a Colorful Life's Really Random Thursday (I love this week's post.)
Live A Colorful Life

And of course Thursday Think Tank.  What is your Think Tank this week?
Thursday Think Tank
HERE ARE THE RULES! 
  1. Link up any post from the past week that features some creative thinking going on in your creative world.   It can be anything, quilting, home improvement, fashion, crafting, DIY gifts, cooking...whatever you have recently thought "hmmm, you know what I should create" is perfectly appropriate for the Think Tank.  TTT is all about whatever you are currently brainstorming and would like feedback or encouragement on!
  2. Somewhere in your post, link back here to my blog. (Or grab the T.T.T. button for your sidebar.)
  3. Comment on at least a few of the other links—because what fun is a linky party without comments

11 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

Sick guilt needs eradication. Maybe a wee piece of chocolate would help? Hope you feel better soon.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Sorry you are sick :( Smack that guilt away and enjoy playing with your fabric stack. I really love the red with those prints but I'll be interested to see what you do with it!

ChristaQuilts said...

I hope you feel better soon! I always have work guilt - being my own boss, I'm constantly thinking if I just work MORE I will be MORE successful! LOL!!

Carla said...

I don't really get sick guilt. I get stat holiday guilt. I usually sew for the shop because if I'm getting paid anyway......
Perhaps some sewing room therapy will make you feel better ; )

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

Yes! I get sick guilt! When I am my own boss, and if I don't work I don't get paid, the guilt becomes overwhelming! So if I don't show up for work... you know I'm dead! On the other hand... I never get quilting guilt! So are you scrapping the project to move onto the purple project, or are you adding the purple to the other project?

Annabella said...

I totally recall sick guilt - it's the worst but don't, everyone is allowed a day off from time to time. I love your purple people pleasers and solrry about the basket weave design - you may like it more when you are better. Perhaps. :-)

Pat Merkle said...

Sorry about the sick guilt, I totally understand. But I have to ask where, oh where did you find that accounting ledger fabric. I love it.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Hope you feel better soon! I also hope that your quilt grows on you as you get better...
P.S. Ignore Susan: sick guilt needs a HUGE piece of chocolate to eradicate it!

Needle little Balance said...

I hate sick guilt but I know it so well. The worst thing about is that it keeps you from fully relaxing. Hope you feel better soon!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I'm self-employed as a medical transcriber at home but I still understand sick guilt. I really like your fabric combinations, but if you aren't "feeling" then working on something else and combing back to it later with new eyes will probably help. I just finished writing a post for tomorrow about feeling overwhelmed by TOO many fabric choices. Does that ever happen to you?

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Yep, I completely understand. Problem is, I then stress and make myself sicker. Ahh!

Hope you are feeling better soon and can get cracking on those yummy Purple People Pleasers (which I will not say ten times fast). :)